UPDATE AT 1.15 p.m. WEDNESDAY 23RD JANUARY 2013
As you can see from the pictures below the situation is very poor here on top of the Varteg. I have come in to conduct a safety check on the site and it's not looking good. First of all I wouln't want to risk injury to any volunteer to come over today and help clear paths. I am indebted and grateful to these people for offering their services but their safety and wellbeing is paramount. Its poring down with snow on the Varteg and I also feel that any effort will be an effort in vain. Same with hiring a digger - there's been more snow overnight than there was on the weekend and it's still coming down. If the snow would stop then we could be all systems go with these two ventures.
The Council have ploughed the bus lanes leading into the school but they are again becoming covered in a layer of snow. I am grateful however to the snow plough for a valiant effort.
Having driven up the main road from Abersychan to Varteg I can honestly say that the road poses a danger. I would not be happy being a child on a bus going up that hill especially in view of what happened in Abercarn.
The staff car park as you can see is worse today than it was on the weekend! This again poses a danger to adults and children alike. I cannot ask staff to park there and the only other alternatives would be along the bus lanes which poses a threat to the children.
IT IS THEREFORE HIGHLY LIKELY THAT YSGOL BRYN ONNEN WILL REMAIN CLOSED TOMORROW. DECISIONS WILL BE MADE IN THE MORNING BUT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU LOOK AT ALTERNATIVE CHILDCARE PROVISION ASAP.
I am sounding like a sctratched record but I am genuinely sorry and apologetic for these decisions. I am grateful to everyone - pupils, staff, parents - for your patience and understanding.
Site inspection will be carried out as soon as possible. May not get messages out to parents until after 1 p.m. Stay tuned.
Dear Parent / Guardian,
Once again please accept my sincerest apology for another snow closure day. I fully appreciate your continuing patience and undrestanding.
I am not a Derek Brockway [ no sniggering please...] but I have attached a number of weather forecast updates below. Sadly the morning is looking like another white-out. It appears to be slightly better mid-afternoon but with more snow coming in during the evening. Thus I really don't know what to do for the best regarding hiring another digger and enlisting parental / staff help. I will ask for the snowplough to clear the bus lanes once again so that we at least keep a grip on accumulation on the lanes leading in to the school. I will assess the situation again closer to midday and hopefully update this page then. It may be that with more snow forecast that we sadly have to look at another closure tomorrow - but, as ever, any decision will be made in the morning. You can also check open / closed status on Ysgol Bryn Onnen's Facebook page if that helps. I'm rubbish at Facebook mind so bear with me if things aren't clear on that page!
I am extremely grateful for the 6-7 parents who have made themselves available to help clear paths etc if the need calls. As said earlier, I will update this page closer to midday with information. Thank you for you support and offerf of help.
As ever, we are grateful to you all for your patience.
See latest news documents for more details